Friday, January 23, 2009

Welcome to Gluten Free Encounters

Welcome to Gluten Free Encounters. Here you will find experiences of those who must follow a gluten free (GF) diet, as they navigate the food service industry.

We all like to eat out, but this leaves us the mercy of restaurant employees and their knowledge about gluten issues, and expertise in cooking gluten free. We've had great experiences, and we are sorry to say, even more bad ones, prompting the creation of this blog. I am so tired of watching my companions eat while I wait for my meal to be recooked, (or on few occasions don't eat at all).


Here the many folks who suffer with Celiac disease or wheat allergies or just choose to eat gluten free, can share their own GF experiences. When time allows, the posts will be forwarded on to the restaurant (and/or its headquarters) with the hopes of prompting a response that makes life easier for all of us.

It is my hope that this blog will stir the restaurant industry to a greater awareness of the consequences gluten causes to Celiacs and other gluten intolerant people.

Please post your questions, comments or experiences here, or email to GFEncounters@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Tirzeh1543 said...

1-24-09: I recently visited Jefferson, TX...not a "gluten free" community, but folks were gracious and willing to try to be helpful. I ate in 4 different establishments: The McKay House B & B where they did a gluten free breakfast omelette for me. (If you aren't GF, the homemade cookies on the sidebar looked yummy!) Kitt's Kornbread Sandwich and Pie Bar...not a promising title for GF foods, but the staff was very accomodating. They had a lovely grilled chicken salad w/fresh spinach, strawberries, and walnuts, and a homemade sweet vinaigrette that was quite filling. Also, The Hamburger Store did a nice grilled chicken entree with honey mustard...the waitress and owner bent over backwards to make sure that I didn't get anything I shouldn't have. At Riverport Bar-B-Que, I had brisket, baked beans, and potato salad without any problems...no MSG, fillers, or modified food starch. The Bar-B-Que sauce is a sweet spicy one that I enjoyed. I generally prepare food beforehand when I travel, and it was a good thing in this case, since I didn't find much in the way of "health food" in the local groceries. But you couldn't beat the helpful attitude of the locals.